Longfei Shu is a molecular biologist working on ecology and evolutionary biology. He is interested in understanding the molecular basis of evolution, which is fundamental to elucidating how diversity of life emerges and is maintained. He received his Bachelor’s (Biotechnology 06/2008) and Master’s degrees (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 06/2011) at Shenzhen University, China and PhD degree from ETH Zurich (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology 01/2015), Switzerland.
Longfei joins the lab with interests in working on evolution of cooperation. Specifically, he wants to investigate interactions between social amoebae and their microbial passengers. In addition, he aims to establish D. discoideum as a model system for study of between-species cooperation. You can see more in his personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/longfeishu/home.
- Longfei Shu, Anssi Laurila, and Katja Räsänen. Environmental stress causes adaptive divergence in ion channel function during embryogenesis. (In submission)
- Longfei Shu, Marc J-F Suter, Anssi Laurila and Katja Räsänen. Molecular phenotyping of maternal egg jelly reveals parallel adaptive evolution to acidity in Rana arvalis and Rana temporaria. Molecular Ecology (Under review)
- Longfei Shu, Marc J-F Suter and Katja Räsänen. Evolution of egg coats: linking molecular biology and ecology. Molecular Ecology (In revision)
- Longfei Shu, Anssi Laurila, Marc J-F Suter and Katja Räsänen. Mechanistic basis of adaptive maternal effects: egg jelly water balance mediates embryonic adaptation to acidity in Rana arvalis. Oecologia (In press)
- Highlighted student paper
- Hui Li, Li Zhang, Longfei Shu, Xiaoshan Zhuang, Yanmei Liu, Jun Chen, Zhangli Hu. Sustainable photosynthetic H2-production mediated by artificial miRNA silencing of OEE2 gene in green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2015, 40 (16): 5609-5616
- Longfei Shu. NextGen VOICES. Science 2012, 338 (6103): 40-43
- Longfei Shu and Zhangli Hu. Characterization and differential expression of microRNAs elicited by sulfur deprivation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. BMC Genomics 2012, 13:108
- Zhangli Hu, Longfei Shu and Deming Gou. MicroRNAs quantification and related target genes for response to sulfur deprivation in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Journal of Shenzhen University (Science & Engineering) 2011, 3: 237 – 242
- Longfei Shu, Zhangli Hu. Small silencing RNAs in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Minerva Biotecnologica 2010, 22(1): 29-37
- Shu, Longfei and Räsänen, Katja. First transcriptome and genomics resources of the moor frog Rana arvalis
- Longfei Shu, Anssi Laurila, Marc J-F Suter and Katja Räsänen. Global proteomics analysis of fertilization envelope in two Rana frog species using MudPIT